BMC FootPrints Service Core is an automation solution for small to medium-sized Service Desks organizations. It provides the full suite of functionality including ticketing, approvals, reporting, and configuration management via a web interface. All configurations are also performed via the web interface.
FootPrints provides the following benefits:
- Provides a low learning curve for users (customers and agents) and administrators.
- Rapid implementation leads to quick realization of value and supports an agile implementation method.
- Easy to configure the product. A specialist or developer is not required. Prior service desk implementation experience is not required.
- Multiple configurable processes (unlimited). Administrative functions are divided into containers and record definitions. An unlimited number of these can be created.
Notable weaknesses include:
- Weak out of the box process templates. Organizations must have a strong sense of what they want from the product.
- Limited validation or formatting of data input.
- Inability to consolidate individual reports.
Despite these weaknesses FootPrints provides a flexible, high quality solution for many organizations.
Version 11, introduced in 2011, provides a modernized interface, and drag and drop form designer on top of the stable product. BMC will support the product through 2017.
BMC introduced FootPrints Service Core 12 in 2014 as a major rewrite of the code base in order to provide a significant number of benefits, including:
- Modern, fast interface with multiple tabs,
- Improved integration between processes,
- Simplified and improved business rule engine,
- Improved performance,
- Templated configurations.
New customers of BMC FootPrints receive only FootPrints 12 licenses. However, existing customers of earlier versions may purchase additional FootPrints 11 licenses on a case-by-case basis or due to special needs.
Prior to FootPrints 12 new versions maintained strong backward compatibility using in-place upgrades. FootPrints 12 introduced a significant rewrite of the code base that broke backward compatibility. FootPrints 12 hardware and software requirements are different, and in-place upgrades are no longer supported. Instead BMC has introduced a Migration Assistant that helps convert workspaces to FootPrints 12 containers / record definitions.
Significantly, FootPrints 12 is not yet at feature parity with FootPrints 11. The Auto Add Customer functionality has been replaced with user account imports from LDAP or SQL. Missing features include Supervisor Approvals (mapped to the Manager attribute of Active Directory) and Advanced Permissions (based on Status). FootPrints 12 now allows field dependencies on Status (and other built-in fields), which allows FootPrints 12 to handle some but not all of the use-cases associated with the Advanced Permissions.
As a result not every organizations using FootPrints 11 is immediately a candidate for FootPrints 12, particularly those making heavy use of Advanced Permissions based on status. Please contact us for an assessment.
Benefits of Ayearon
We have worked with FootPrints Service Core since 2007 and have performed over 150 engagements with over 100 customers across industries. Processes include:
- Incident Management
- Service Request Fulfillment
- Access Request Management
- Problem Management
- Change Management
- Service Catalog Management
- Service Asset and Configuration Management
- IT Asset Management (Lifecycle)
- Release and Deployment Management
- Facilities Request Tracking
- HR Support Processes (Onboarding, Separations)
- Marketing Request Tracking
- Healthcare Risk Event Reporting
In addition we have experience providing the following services:
- New process implementation,
- Process improvement,
- Implementation assessment,
- Platform migration,
- V11 to V12 upgrade,
- Third party tool integration.
- Product information at BMC Software’s homepage.
- Reviews of FootPrints at G2 Crowd.
- PinkVERIFY 2011 at Pink Elephant. Verification information for FootPrints 11 has been removed. FootPrints 12.1 is verified for Incident Management, Problem Management, and Change Management. However Service Request Fulfillment, Service Catalog Management, Service Level Management, and Service Asset and Configuration Management are also supported.